All About The Garcinia Gummi-Gutta
Have you heard of anyone talking about the Garcinia Gummi-Gutta? Probably not! A strange name and even stranger to pronounce it! However, for all those who are obsessed with weight management and diet control, it is time to get familiar with this term. Garcinia Gummi-Gutta is now your new best friend.
The Garcinia Gummi-Gutta is the scientific name for a tropical fruit that is found in the country of Indonesia and in some parts of southern Asia. Some of the common names by which people correlate it with are:
- Garcinia Cambogia
- Malabar Tamarind
- Kudam Puli or the Pot Tamarind
- It is small in size resembling a small sized pumpkin.
- It normally appears in green or pale yellow colors.
The fruit may be used in two ways:
- In its natural ripe form that is yellow in color, or
- In the dry form, after it has been dried under the sun for several days and appears black and shriveled
- The fruit is widely used as a cooking ingredient. It is used to make different traditional curries. The rind of the fruit and the fruit extracts can be directly used to make tasty curries.
- The dried form of the fruit is also used as a spice in making many dishes in Thailand, India, Burma, Malaysia, and other Southern Asian countries.
- The fruit also finds use in ancient ayurvedic medicines as a relief for indigestions.
- In India and Sri Lanka, people commercial use the fruit in fish curing.
- The fruit has also found wide applicability in weight loss treatments. In places where the fruit is naturally available, people add 2-3 small pieces of the dried variety in water and allow it to boil until it reaches half the water level. It is then allowed to stand overnight and the decoction is had on an empty stomach the next morning. People have experienced significant weight loss in the continuous practice of this treatment for at least a month to two.
- However, in regions where the fruit is not readily available, scientists have come up with the Max Fit Garcinia, a commercially available diet pill that is made from the extracts of this fruit, which aids in weight loss.
Though this fruit has no major disadvantages, the overuse of the fruit can result in:
- Toxicity of the liver, and
- Other gastrointestinal discomforts